Major Milestones

  • 1891 - Wodonga Fire Brigade formed and was registered in May 1893. Original station located in High Street. High Street and Anne Street used for training.
  • 1920 - Hand-drawn hose and reel used for firefighting.
  • 1924 - Brigade disbanded for 15 days over internal dispute.
  • 1935 - Brigade takes ownership of it’s first engine - a Graham rear-mounted pumper.
  • 1940 - Brick station built at the southern end of High Street.
  • 1940 - Ownership of Brigade transferred from Shire Council to Country Fire Brigades Board.
  • 1940s - Brigade gains an International mid-mounted pumper; Electric siren replaced the bell on the station; Brigade acquired its own telephone.
  • 1957 - First Resident Officer (T. Birkett) positioned at station, alowing the station to be manned 24 hours a day.
  • 1976 - Brigade begins using Breathing Apparatus.
  • 1976 - Current Class A-1 station on corner of Smyth and Stanley Streets becomes operational.
  • 1976 – First Permanent staff member (R.Boland) arrives at Wodonga. Ron retired in 2012 after 36 years of service to the Wodonga community and the Wodonga Pumper was named in his honour.